Western Standard

The Shotgun Blog

« Coyne Shames Arbour | Main | Canadian troops continue to fight terrorists »

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Iranian people don't support Hezballah

Just to make my case more understandable about the fact that Iranian people do not support Hezbollah or any other terrorist organization, I should draw your attention to this post and the recent article by Time magazine as well.

I never remember seeing or hearing a true Iranian/Persian supporting these groups the way a radical islamist/arab does...

The main argument among the Iranians is that the Arab-Israeli conflict shouldn't concern us since it is not our business to do so. The people of Iran want to be taken care of first and foremost, and would like to see an alliance with the state of Israel just like the good old days during the reign of late Shah when Iran and Israel had military, diplomatic and cultural relations.

Posted by Winston on July 23, 2006 in International Affairs | Permalink

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
https://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d834515b5d69e200d834a1c88a53ef

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Iranian people don't support Hezballah:

Comments

Good post. People need to hear this message. TIME did a pretty good job in their article, surprisingly.

Posted by: C.H. | 2006-07-23 5:12:43 AM


If that's the case then the opinion or the wishes of the people of Iran count for nothing to the mad head of that country. It matters not what the people want in that regime, they are supporting Hezbollah and that is that, case closed. We can only hope for some sanity to break out in that part of the world and soon. Hard to understand how members of the human race can bear constant fighting and the unimaginable carnage to it's people in the name of religion and hate. Have they ever heard of rebellion, or is that not a tenet of their belief?

Posted by: Liz J | 2006-07-23 9:13:53 AM


Liz J, Iranians have heard of rebellion.

They rebelled against the Shah of Iran and turfed him out in favor of the Ayatollahs.

If the Shah was such a bad guy, why was it so easy to give him the heave-ho?

The coup was a complete surprize to the CIA. They must have not had any spys in the mosques. Have they learned anything yet?

The Iranians have made their beds.....

By the way, exactly who made this headcount in Iran and how was it possible? Really.

Posted by: Speller | 2006-07-23 9:24:58 AM


oh well on cspan a channel banned by the crooked crtc and the canadian tv monopolists empowered by the liberal party

DIRECT TV AND DISHNET SHOULD BE LEGAL IN CANADA IF CANADIANS WANT TO BUY IT

On the 25th anniversary of the iranian revolution a couple monts back that close eyed wanna be adolf pres of iran was speaking in front of what looked like over a hundred thousand iranians cheering each and everylie he uttered. this was on CSPAN -- SEVERAL TIMES THEY SHOWED IT---there were many signs in the crowd " the holocaust is a lie" israel must be destroyed" and iranian tv honed in constantly on those signs and the people proudly holding them

the iranian like all muslim people are loyal only to the ummah --THEY ARE ALL THE SAME

Posted by: woodbridge | 2006-07-23 9:50:00 AM


My recollection of events in Iran of recent history revolved around USA President Nixon wanting to prevent Communist USSR efforts to take over and annex Iran into the USSR.

Nixon encouraged-assembled the OPEC Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries in order to create a cartel which could raise the world market price of oil as a means of funnelling USA dollars into the Arab countries so that they could purchase USA military weapons, which the USA Democrat Party (i.e. the Communists in America, who were 100% in league with the Communists in USSR) which controlled the USA congress, would not allow President Nixon to "sell" to the Arabs, via "foreign aid" in the Cold War effort to prevent hot wars with the lovely Russians.

The Shaw of Iran was one of Nixon's great successes in international diplomacy, in that the Shaw was a quite reasonable nation leader.

The USA "main stream media" was helpful to the effort of undermining the USA popular support for the Shaw of Iran, but not nearly as totally Communist as it is today. I remember living and working in Washington during that time and seeing the same USA hippies-Communists-Democrat Party activists carrying the stupid big photo "Che" posters along with the "Down With The Shaw" signs all around "K Street" where our traditionally Communist USA State Department is located. Well, the Communists succeeded, as Nixon was diverted with his myriad battles with the Democrats-Communists in congress.

The Nixon "scandals" are one of the biggest examples of media fraud ever to have hit this earth. The Democrat Party - Communists were the absolute epicenter of ALL of the Communist supported "anti-war" efforts in America, including all of the BOMBINGS on our USA college campuses where young students were KILLED in the explosions in thier on campus classroom buildings! My own son worked in the same facility as one of the murders (NEVER SOLVED) by the "anti-war" "hippies" and "Democrats" who are and were all 100% Communists, as they are today (ala' Mr. John Kerry et al), absolutely 100% anti-American and anti-individual freedom, BUT EXTEMELY SUPPORTIVE OF A "WOMAN'S RIGHT TO CHOOSE" TO KILL UNBORN INDIVIDUAL LIVING HUMAN BEINGS, which is the way we enlist all of the MOST STUPID 50% of the population of the earth into the business of destroying the freedom and future prospects for happiness of the entire race of mankind.

The Shaw of Iran was undermined by the Communists from Russia and from USA Democrat Party, same people just a different address.

So now the people of Iran live under the thumb of a solidly Communist-Russia supported dictatorship which is still bound and determined to destroy individual freedom for their own people and for the people of the entire globe.

Winston if your folks can overthrow the Mullahs that would be great. If not, the the USA is really going to HAVE TO make a mess of it (or, if God is willing, perhaps the USA can accomplish the removal of the oppressors without killing the baby with the bathwater).

Lots of rambling. Bottom line, all of the Liberals all over the world are Communist with the single aim of destroying individual freedom from the experience of man kind.

Posted by: Conrad-USA | 2006-07-23 9:54:57 AM


No matter what the Israelis do, how much they give in, it will never be enough. They are surrounded by enemies of all they stand for and what they are, a civilized, modern democracy.

Posted by: Liz J | 2006-07-23 10:06:45 AM


I met many Persians in North Vancouver and there is no comparison between these wonderful people and the behaviour and attitude of the current regime in Iran. I suspect many people don't realize that Persians are not Arabs, and that the behaviour of Ahmadinejad and his followers is, as Winston says, due to radical Islamlism, and not characteristic of the Persian people.

Posted by: EBD | 2006-07-23 11:34:48 AM


woodbridge wote: DIRECT TV AND DISHNET SHOULD BE LEGAL IN CANADA IF CANADIANS WANT TO BUY IT

It's easy enough to get either. Recent estimates are that between 300,000 to 500,000 Canadians have an American DHT system. I have DirectTV

Posted by: No Spin Zone | 2006-07-23 1:04:38 PM


EBD wrote :I suspect many people don't realize that Persians are not Arabs, and that the behaviour of Ahmadinejad and his followers is, as Winston says, due to radical Islamlism, and not characteristic of the Persian people.

For what it’s worth Ahmadinejad got 61.5 percent of ballots cast in last year’s Iranian presidential election.

Contrast that to Bill Clinton who received 43 % in 1992 and 49 % in '96. Even the Republican sweep of 1984 Reagan never got 60%. You have to go back to 1972 when Nixon got almost 61% to compare to the Ahmadinejad victory.

I’d have to say that a large proportion of Iranians are in general agreement with Ahmadinejad

Posted by: No Spin Zone | 2006-07-23 1:29:59 PM


True or not, the fact remains that Iran sponsors and funds Hizbollah and is also giving assistance to Hamas. Iran is also behind the on-going terrorism in Iraq, and along with Syria is responsible for the situation in Lebanon. Furthermore Iran is at present probably the most serious threat to the West.

Posted by: Alain | 2006-07-23 1:44:19 PM


No Spin Zone

The elections in Iran are sham, set up and useless. The elections are undemocratic and the council of guardians can deny any one who may run for public office.

Posted by: Winston | 2006-07-23 2:58:43 PM


Iranian people might not support Hezbollah, but Toronto people do!

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_2120.aspx

Look at the picture of Hezbollah's leader Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah featured prominently. So much for the "peace" movement. More like pro-terrorist.

Posted by: Scott | 2006-07-23 3:05:54 PM


Winston wrote: The elections in Iran are sham, set up and useless. The elections are undemocratic and the council of guardians can deny any one who may run for public office.

That may very well be. However, if we assume that there are bout 50 million eligible voters of whom 63% voted we have about 31.5 million votes cast. If Ahmadinejad really got say 40% or 50% of the vote then 12 -16 million people voted for him. That is hardly an inconsequential number.

Various Iranian regimes could have stopped funding hezbollah in the last 20 years. None have.

Posted by: No Spin Zone | 2006-07-23 4:18:02 PM


Dude, that's nonesense! Iranian regime created Hezballah as their own proxy.

I suggest you read more before making comments on Iran publicly!

Posted by: Winston | 2006-07-23 6:15:59 PM


Winston wrote: Dude, that's nonesense! Iranian regime created Hezballah as their own proxy.

I suggest you read more before making comments on Iran publicly!

The fact that Iran created Hezbollah is irrelevant, the fact that they continue to fund them after 20 years is.

Your assertion that the Iranian people don’t support Hezbollah is based on nothing other than personal opinion, neo-con self delusion and of all things, Time magazine. Like all neo-cons you offer nothing other than looking at foreign policy through the lens of one dominant concern: Is it good or bad for Israel? I’m sure Commentary magazine readers would lap up what you write. I, however, don’t.

Posted by: No Spin Zone | 2006-07-23 7:17:01 PM


NSZ, with regard to your 1:59:29 response to my comment, there are about 70 million people in Iran, and only about half are Persian. Factor in the "council of guardians" Winston refered to, and your comment about election figures doesn't obviate anything in my comment, which I stand by.

Posted by: EBD | 2006-07-23 7:32:57 PM


Again your response is Bravo Sierra and shows your lack of info on Iran.

See you later when you have more knowledge on the issues related to Iran.

Posted by: Winston | 2006-07-23 8:18:29 PM


EBD, to further illustrate your point, it may interest you to know that only about a quarter of the world's Muslims are Arabs. Pakistanis aren't Arabs, Indonesians aren't Arabs, Iranians aren't Arabs, Turks aren't Arabs, and not even all Iraqis are Arabs. It seems to be more the Arabs than the Muslims at large that have it in for Israel and the West, and while Iran is also in that camp, it is there for entirely different reasons.

Posted by: Shane Matthews | 2006-07-23 8:40:39 PM


No Spin Zone wrote: "That may very well be. However, if we assume that there are bout 50 million eligible voters of whom 63% voted we have about 31.5 million votes cast. If Ahmadinejad really got say 40% or 50% of the vote then 12 -16 million people voted for him. That is hardly an inconsequential number."

You mean the way 97 percent of eligible Iraqi voters voted for Saddam Hussein in the last election before the Iraqi War?

Winston wrote: "Dude, that's nonesense! Iranian regime created Hezballah as their own proxy."

Of course. And the USSR back the Ayatollahs so Iran could be their proxy, as they remain to this day. Having failed attempting to compete with the U.S. directly, Russia is playing it smart and trying to manipulate other states into doing it for them. American power is much feared throughout the world, although to be fair none of those who oppose it would do have so good a job with it. America is the greatest nation on Earth for a reason, and it isn't because of what they put in the drinking water.

Posted by: Shane Matthews | 2006-07-23 8:45:17 PM


WoodB -

Remember communist rallies in Red Square? Made it look like the entire population would never even think about anything else.
The regime is experienced in "rent-a-mob". They do it all the time. Really helps to inflate the pro-gov't numbers for TV shots.

No Spin Z -

That 61% number is the highest estimate I've heard. I don't even think the regime is trying to use that one, because it's laughable. Where did you get it? Castro got like 98% of the votes last election too, btw. Yup, all the Cubans love him and want to continue to live in squalor for as long as possible.

There isn't a mideast specialist who doesn't know that the election was a sham. Even the other candidates and parliament members publicly said so. That took a lot of nerve, because that's something that can get you in a lot of trouble.

Liz -
You're correct. The wishes of the people "count for nothing" Since when have the peoples' feelings or wishes counted for anything in a dictatorship? And despite the smoke and mirrors or having a president and parliament, it's a dictatorship run by the Supreme Leader, Khamenei.


Posted by: C.H. | 2006-07-23 8:53:00 PM


C.H wrote: That 61% number is the highest estimate I've heard. I don't even think the regime is trying to use that one, because it's laughable. Where did you get it?

The CIA World Factbook, though I have seen others as low as 40%. Though in 2004 42% of all Americans voted in the presidential election. The numbers are similar to the lower Iranian results, does that invalidate the US election?

Castro got like 98% of the votes last election too, btw. Yup, all the Cubans love him and want to continue to live in squalor for as long as possible.

Irrelevant. Cuba is a one party state where Castro runs unopposed.

Posted by: No Spin Zone | 2006-07-23 9:19:47 PM


Shane Matthews wrote: You mean the way 97 percent of eligible Iraqi voters voted for Saddam Hussein in the last election before the Iraqi War?

No. More like Singapore where the Presidential Elections Committee announced that the incumbent S. R. Nathan was granted a Certificate of Eligibility, but rejected the other candidates due to lack of sufficient experience. Nathan was declared duly elected since he was the only person nominated. The election never actually took place.

Posted by: No Spin Zone | 2006-07-23 9:36:58 PM


There's little doubt Iran is a serious threat to the West, even now, feeding the Hezbollah to fight this dirty war for their main cause, to wipe Israel off the map. Of course we are drawn into it, having to rescue Canadians of convenience and take verbal abuse from the same ingrates, many of whom have never set foot in Canada. Bet your bottom dollar there are many Hezbollah supporters among them. This should bring home to the loopy left a hug fest will not suffice,however how do you get through to la-la land dwellers with blocked off minds? There may come a time when it will be necessary to bag Iran if there isn't a turn around in their regime and the regime of Syria.

Posted by: Liz J | 2006-07-24 10:20:46 AM


No Spin Z -
You can't be that dense.
I will repeat. 61% of the population did NOT vote in last year's election. And 61% did NOT vote for Ahmadinejad.... People who were there said there were no lines at the polling places and many closed early. The IRGC stuffed the ballot boxes and the regime produced the figures.
This will probably be a shocker for you too.....the winner was chosen before the ballots were counted.
That's life in a dictatorship.
The voting makes the people feel that they have a say in the gov't, and looks good for TV, but Iran's Supreme Leader makes the final call.


Posted by: C.H. | 2006-07-24 8:37:05 PM


You all know Iran was best friends with Israel and USA during the reign of the SHAH. Why did the West think it was beneficial to them to get rid of the SHAH and replace the leadership with morons who hate their own people and know nothing of politics.

Like Speller mentioned ealier, if the SHAH was such a bad guy, why was it so easy to get rid of him with al lhis military might and power???

Think about it, support PERSIA (Iran) and get rid of the mess created by terrorist thugs. Believe me the wind will blow back in your face like it is if you continue creating terrorists in the middle east America, you know who you are.

Posted by: A Persian | 2006-07-25 3:27:15 AM


Persian,

You are dead wrong! The left was responsible for the revolution. It was moved by marginal folks, such as the socialists, communists, union types, gays, b'hais, and the women's movement. Waiting in the fringe, though, was khomeini. As you know, he was kept in France, until the final hour.

Due to the same stealth as ever by the jihadists, the leftist movements did not see the islamofacists building power, until the final moment, when the republic was suppossed to be installed, and the religious nutcakes, installed this cult instead.

And Iran gives millions of USD in Aid to the terrorist forces, each and every year. Persian economy is the number one reason for the war between Israel and Hisbollah. Hisbollah was installed by your freaks, and the rest has been a stockpiling of missiles, to be aimed, as they are, into civilian populations.

Technology has changed, but islamofacist terrorist forces, never have changed. You freaks are the same horrible people you ever have been! Blood thirsty liars and baby killers!

Posted by: Lady | 2006-07-25 10:53:05 AM



The comments to this entry are closed.